A granite outcrop surrounded by clear sea, teeming with fish, with a wealth of history and traditions.
This is Giglio, the “isoletta bella” or beautiful isle as the island’s storytellers remind the tourists in the cool summer evenings spent at Castello, the beautiful old medieval hamlet, a true fortress built on the rock.
Inhabited since the Stone and Iron Ages, first under the Etruscans and then the Romans, the island became an important trading hub.
Porto and above all Campese, owing to its natural conformation, were the main landing stages for ships loading the granite and minerals meant for the mainland or, as the people of Giglio still say today, the "continent".
Over the centuries, the island has passed from the rule of the Maritime Republic of Pisa to that of the Aragonese, the Medici and the Lorraine families, following the fate of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
The island counts memorable battles against the Saracen pirates, such as the invasion of Barbarossa in 1544, when almost all of the inhabitants of Giglio were shipped off as slaves, and the rematch against the Turks on 18 November 1799, finally putting paid to the pirates' incursions onto the island.